Monday, March 23, 2009

Easy Chocolate Cake


This recipe for Chocolate Cake was given to me by my mother, who has been using it ever since I can remember. I think it could easily date back to The Great Depression, as it uses no dairy or eggs and relies only on the reaction of baking soda and vinegar for it's leavening.

I have used it many times and found it perfect for any shape or size of cake, as it can be doubled easily. Makes 2 thin, 9" round cakes, one thick 8" x 8" square or about 14 cupcakes.

Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tbsp. cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
Sift together.
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Combine and add to above and then mix until blended.

Pour into floured, greased cake pan lined with parchment, or into paper cups.

Bake for 35–40 minutes for cake, 20–25 minutes for cupcakes.

Allow to cool and ice as desired.

Note: I always top my cakes with real butter cream icing and it makes it just that much better. Butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla and a drop of milk. Check the Wilton website for exact measurements. (Their recipe also calls for shortening, but I use ALL butter!)

No comments: